Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What's it all about?

So...this whole training in a group thing can be pretty intimidating. As much as I prefer partner/buddy working out to solo working out, I have begun to realize that the intensity of that can become non-productive (if you let it). I spent today trying to get back to the basics of why I began this journey:
1. because I have had a personal goal to complete a tri since college
2. to re-claim my pre-baby fitness/health level
3. I have ALWAYS wanted to join forces with TNT in some capacity whether running, cycling or doing a tri
4. I LOVE to work out - hard work outs, easy work outs, it doesn't matter the type or style - I LOVE EXERCISE.

So...having re-grouped and reminded myself of these things I am feeling more positive and a little rejuvenated. In addition to my own thoughts, I read some interesting things that came directly from Beth Atnip (the race director for my event in October) too and I have found them to be very profound. They are as follows:

  • Focus on yourself, not others around you: You are competing in this event for yourself! If you start to worry about winning, or beating others in your age group, you will start to lose focus on what you are trying to accomplish. There is always going to be someone who is faster, stronger or more experienced. It is not worth your time worrying about others around you. You should have fun and enjoy the experience of triathlons.
  • Know your personal limits: You have to be careful to stick to your training plan, and not get caught up with what your buddy is doing. For example, if you are only used to running three days a week, you would not want to jump right into running five days a week. You are the best judge of how your body feels and how hard you can push yourself. Especially during the really hot days, you should use extreme caution and make sure you stay hydrated and workout more in the mornings and evenings to avoid the heat of the day.
  • Relax and have a good time: We are in this sport to have fun, so make sure you enjoy your race! You have done the training, and have put in the time, so now is the fun part of competing! Your family and friends will be there to support you, and there will be plenty of volunteers to answer any of your questions. Try to stay as relaxed as possible before the race by giving yourself extra time race morning to get everything set up in transition.

Back to reality - this is going to be fun. I am going to be ready when October 5th gets here. Whether fast or slow - I will finish and I will be able to say "I reached my goal and completed a triathlon". I have had an incredible coach and training will all be building blocks on a base now. I can see the finish line and I am headed towards it! It is time for me to be my own cheerleader. Go Lindsy!

1 comment:

  1. Even though I am your workout buddy, I like to still be your cheerleader as you are mine...GO LINDSY! :) I am excited/nervous about this thing....geez, only 6 weeks away. But oh what a fun journey...I am glad you broke it down for why you are doing this, it helped me with some perspective as well.

    ReplyDelete