We have basically been living out of functionality - as in, whatever we need to function is unpacked and the rest: still in boxes (I'm not kidding...even a little bit). So... now that I've admitted to being a total slacker - here is how hideous the girls room was before. Tim started disassembling the toddler bed where Kennedy was sleeping before I took the picture so please don't think that functional = forcing my 5 year old to sleep on the floor. Thankfully my sister had some black out fabric that we tacked over the windows in both of the kids rooms to tide us over until real drapes were purchased but we did install their light fixture pretty early on because the box it was packed in was taking up an insane amount of room.
The Tinkerbell door hanger deserves an explanation - "she" is a Christmas decoration that was given to Kennedy as a gift last year and oh how excited she was to hang "her" up this year. Thankfully we packed her back away once we started on the room. Until next year Tink!
I definitely don't want to sound like a whiner here, but honestly there has been no time to paint or work on projects around the house. During the week I'm completely absorbed in Mommying and or house management (meals, cleaning, errands, bills, etc. etc. etc.). When the babies are napping, I'm either doing home school with Kennedy or playing one on one with Kennedy. I keep staring at piles of things that need to be unpacked or walls that need things on them and when I start to feel suffocated by it I try to remind myself that I'm spending my time doing what is most important and the rest can wait. It will get it all done at some point...right?
Thankfully, Tim's Mom was willing to come back with us after the holidays so that we could devote a weekend to getting the girls' room finished. Most of the time when we attempt to work on projects, it requires dividing and conquering (one works on said project while the other "man's the kiddos) but with her help we were able to work together on their room and it was so nice.
So anyhow, thanks to Pinterest - I knew I wanted to do chevrons in their room but wasn't sure of much else until I saw this particular design and pretty much fell in love. Without my husbands master mind I would have NEVER even considered tackling something that would require this much measuring but alas I married a man who does things like this to prepare:
So...first we painted our base color - pink, of course. After our base coat dried, Tim got to measuring. I would give you more detail, but this part was ALL him so I have no detail to share sadly. I do know that a yardstick, pencil and level were involved but that's all I got. ha! how crazy is this tape job?
Next up - the stripe/chevron colors were added. I seriously couldn't wait to pull of the tape - It's always so exciting to get to the finished product part of any project, am I right?Voila! I am super happy with the finished product but I will say that I wish we would have chosen a different brand of tape. Our lines (though you would never know unless you were looking) are a little fuzzy where there was a tiny bit of bleed through. After that amount of work you just want perfection, you know? The girls weren't allowed in the room until we were totally done and they both LOVE it. Avery is obviously now in a big girl bed and it's gone pretty well. We had a few little incidents (Praise God for bed rails because that girl is a CRAZY sleeper) but she seems to be adjusted now.
The bedding, hanging flowers, and even the picture frames were in my niece Maggie's room but when Catina re-did her room she was gracious enough to offer the old to us and we gladly accepted the offer. I think it's perfect for the girls! I found the drapes (brace yourself) in the clearance bin at Bed Bath and Beyond for $4/panel y'all and they are even lined with blackout fabric: score! Their little bookshelves are from Target and they each have their own at the end of their beds with their books in them. The little flower lights beside each of their beds (so darling) are from Ikea and Avery sleeps with hers on each night - she just loves it.
One last thing (a close running for my favorite thing in their room next to the stellar chevron wall we worked so hard on) - soon after moving in, we realized that although there was plenty of space for them to share a room the closet was going to be a whole other story. My sister Melissa had used a company called Closets by Design to install systems in their closets and her closets looked so awesome that we decided to use them to re-design the girls' closet too. I honestly LOVE their closet. They now each have their own well defined areas and I know right where to get stuff. As they grow we can move the bars and the shelves to accommodate their clothing and I just couldn't be happier with the finished product. I wish we could afford to have this done in all of our closets.Our next project (when we have time) will be Grey's room. I just keep repeating in my mind "It's a marathon, not a sprint". Maybe by the time Kennedy goes into middle school we will be almost done. You know, just in time to re-do their room again because it will probably be "so little girl" by then. Sigh.