Sunday, February 19, 2012

Life Lessons

I love that in each and every life stage - we as adults, and even more so as "believing adults" are learning lessons. I would say marriage was a doozie for me and then having Kennedy blew those "lessons" out of the water and we needed all new ones and since having Avery I feel like I'm in a constant phase of learning how to juggle it all. I'm so much calmer and more relaxed now than I used to be (I know some of you are probably thinking: yeah right! It's true - I'm still OCD and extremely particular, but I AM learning that I can't do it all..all the time). Exhibit A: a couple of weeks ago my schedule coupled with the needs of my family had us in a bit of a whirlwind around here and at some point I looked around my house and just had to laugh - clearly I wasn't "keeping up". I mean - these pictures are embarrassing for me to show you, but it also shows I've learned to let some things go:
dishes fill the sink
counter tops get covered in STUFF that hasn't been put away
laundry piles up
toys litter the house
and mini "play stations" get set up wherever you deem necessary to assist you in just getting out the door or completing an important task!
I'm trying hard to remind myself - it's a season...one that is not permanent but only temporary. Don't get me wrong - having a clean house ranks up there with a good workout and an amazing accessory in my book, but it pales in comparison to active, involved parenting and/or having a heart to heart discussion over lunch with a best friend. I feel certain what older and wiser Moms tell us is true: "your kids won't remember how clean your house was and your true friends won't remember whether your toilet was clean or not". Perspective! My life is about to get even more chaotic and I'm trying hard to focus my efforts where I want them to be - with people, extracurriculars and just within our home. It's hard for me to limit myself in any way because I just ADORE all things social, but the more I'm here with my family - the more I realize it's where I need to be most and all things involved WITH my little family deserves the most of me....the best of me. I'm not just talking about mentally either - I'm talking about the mundane things like dishes and laundry and bath time and ALL OF THE MOMMY/WIFE STUFF that we women repeat on a daily basis. So...my house is going to be a mess at times and I'm not always going to look super put together, but it's O.K. - for now ;)

Kennedy is changing so fast - she's just growing and becoming even more inquisitive (which I didn't even see as a possibility). She's asking more and more about heart matters and important things - I LOVE discussing that stuff with her and watching her "get it". She loves life and loves people and is just full of L.O.V.E. Tim took her recently to see Cat in the Hat at Raising Canes - it was a KET sponsored event we heard about on TV. I thought - these are the moments when I still see my little sweet pea Kennedy....
Then...this kind of thing happens and I feel like she jumps to 13. This is before church one Sunday - she picked this outfit out and thought she was SOMETHING ELSE (clearly). It cracked me up.
Such a ham!

She's all into dress up and dancing and lately she's been about saluting us when we ask her to look at the camera. Not sure what that is about but I think it's funny either way.


Seriously - I know we are going to see this face for years to come (I'm just happy in this particular instance it was out of silliness and she wasn't saying a long drawn out "Mooooooommmm" with it like I feel certain she will at some point). I mean...I'm not in denial...I know I'm only going to be cool for so long.
It just makes me want to soak up all the moments...the precious moments where we feel the smallness of her...the innocence and dependence. Moments like this where she insists she's not tired and wants to stay up with the grown ups and then this happens:

Because before I know it she's going to be old enough to date and not have "play dates" with her little friends. I want to soak up ever second - who cares if there's dishes in the sink!
Last week my sister sent me a text message saying she had just left her daughter (my first born niece's) middle school orientation. I sat there staring at my cell phone screen and just couldn't believe it. Now...it could be hormones but I just cried and cried - I just couldn't believe it. How was it time for that already? We were all just in her hospital room on Christmas morning taking her newborn scent in - it seems like just a few short years ago, where did the time go? I told my sister I was crying and she was like: "I know! I just sat there staring at her in my passenger seat thinking "how did we get here"? As Mom's - we are all going to have that moment, you know? I just want to soak it all in and treasure it before moments like that arrive! I don't want to be all Debbie Downer - I know those moments coming are a natural thing and truthfully I want to live in such a way NOW that when they come I'm ready, you know? I kept thinking - middle school - ick! After I cried and it all soaked in I thought: "she's ready though - they've poured into her and kept her involved in church and kept her surrounded by friends and she's participated in things she loves and is talented in and she's as ready as she'll ever be!". I want to be able to say with confidence that Tim and I have done what we needed to in order to prepare our kiddos for all the moments - no matter how bittersweet they may be.

1 comment:

  1. So well said:) It's good to keep perspective of where the "chores" stand in relation to our families!

    Love those pics of K. She is so you! :)

    ReplyDelete